David J Bartholomew, FBA
Professor Emeritus of Statistics,
By using a search engine such as Google many of my publications can be tracked down. What you find may depend on what version of my name you use (eg David Bartholomew, D J Bartholomew etc). There are also other David Bartholomews in the world who's interests and publications might be confused with my own. The purpose of this site is to provide a definitive and classified list of my publications. It does not include book reviews or other ephemeral publications. Some more serious publications may have been inadertently omitted. Further information may be obtained by writing to me at email@example.com. Basic biographical information may be found in my Who's Who entry ( Last updated October 2013)
Books and papers are colour coded, by broad subject area as follows.
Brown Mathematical and general statistics
Green Social Statistics
Blue Stochastic models, including manpower planning
Black Latent variable models, including factor analysis and measurement
Red Science and theology
1961: & S.E. Finer and H.B. Berrington
Backbench Opinion in the House of Commons, 1955-1959.
Stochastic Models for Social Processes,
(German translation 1970).
3. 1971: & E.E. Bassett, Let's Look at the Figures: the quantitative approach to human affairs), Harmondsworth Middlesex: Penguin books (Dutch translation, 1971).
4. 1971: & B.R.Morris (eds.), Aspects of Manpower Planning, London|: English Universities Press.
1971: & A.R.Smith (eds.)
Manpower and Management Science,
1972: & R.E. Barlow, H.D. Brunk and J.M. Bremner,
Statistical Inference under Order Restrictions ,
John Wiley and Sons.
Models for Social Processes, (revised and enlarged)
8. 1976: (ed.) Manpower Planning, Harmondsworth, Middlesex: Penguin Books.
9. 1979: & A.F.Forbes, Statistical Techniques for Manpower Planning,
10. 1981: Mathematical Methods in Social Science,
11. 1982: Stochastic Models for Social Processes,
12. 1985: Russian translation of Chapters 1-8 of Stochastic Models for Social Processes, 3rd edition,
13. 1984: God of Chance,
14. 1987: Latent Variable Models and Factor Analysis,
15. 1991: & A. F. Forbes and S.I. McClean, Statistical Techniques for Manpower Planning,
John Wiley and Sons (Hebrew translation 2001, The Open University of Israel).
16 . 1993: & K.Haagen & M.Deistler (eds.), Statistical Modelling and Latent Variables,
17. 1996: Uncertain Belief,
18. 1996: The Statistical Approach to Social Measurement,
19. 1999: & M. Knott, Latent Variable Models and Factor Analysis,
20. 2002: & F. Steele, I Moustaki & J. I. Galbraith, The Analysis and Interpretation of Multivariate Data for Social
21. 2004: Measuring Intelligence: Facts and Fallacies,
2006: (Ed) Measurement. Benchmarks in Social
Research Methods, (4 Vols.)
23. 2007: God, Chance and Purpose: Can God have it both ways?
24. 2008: & F Steele, I
Moustaki, J Galbraith, Analysis of
Multivariate Social Science Data, (second
25. 2011: & M Knott, I Moustaki, Latent Variable Models and factor Analysis: A unified approach. Chichester:John Wiley and Sons Ltd
26. 2013: Unobserved Variables: Models and Misunderstandings. Heidelberg: Springer
Papers and Chapters in Books
1. 1954: Note on the use of
2. 1956: A sequential test of randomness for events occurring in time or space. Biometrika, 43 64-78
3. 1956: A sequential test for randomness of intervals. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B. 18, 95-103
4. 1956: Tests for randomness in a series of events which the alternative is a trend. Journal of the Royal
Statistical Society, Series B, 18, 234-239
5. 1957: Testing for departure from the exponential distribution. Biometrika, 44, 253-257
6. 1957: A problem in life testing Journal of the American Statistical Association, 52, 350-355
7. 1959: A test of homogeneity for ordered alternatives. Biometrika, 46, 36-48
8. 1959: A test of homogeneity for ordered alternatives, II, Biometrika, 46, 328-335
9. 1959: Note on the measurement and prediction of labour turnover. Journal of the. Royal. Statististical.
Society, Series A, 122, 232-239
10. 1961: A test of homogeneity for means under restricted alternatives. Journal of the Royal Statistical. Society,
Series B, 23, 239-281.
11. 1961: A method of allowing for 'Not-at-Home' bias in sample surveys. Applied Statistics, 10, 52-59 (Italian
12. 1961: Ordered tests in the analysis of variance. Biometrika, 48, 325-332
13. 1962: & F.Bealey. The local elections in
14. 1962: & F.Bealey. The local elections in
15. 1963: Two-stage replacement strategies. Operational Research Quarterly. 14, 71-87
16. 1963: A multi-stage renewal process. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series B. 25, 150-168
17. 1963: On Chassan's test for order. Biometrics, 19, No.1, 188-191
18. 1963: The sampling distribution of an estimate arising in life testing. Technometrics, 5, 361-374
19. 1963: An approximate solution of the integral equation of renewal theory, Journal of the Royal Statistical
Society. Series B, 25, 432-441
20. 1965: A comparison of some Bayesian and frequentist inferences", Biometrika, 52, 19-35
21. 1966: & E.E.Bassett. A comparison of some Bayesian and frequentist inferences II, Biometrika, 53, 262-264
22. 1967: Hypothesis testing when the sample size is treated as a random variable (with discussion). Journal of the Royal Statististical Society. Series B, Vol. 29, 53-82
23. 1968: Decision making in manpower planning. Operational Research. Quarterly, Vol. 19 (special conference
24. 1969: Renewal theory models for manpower systems. In Manpower Research ed. N.A.B. Wilson., 120-128,
25. 1970: Sufficient conditions for a mixture of exponentials to be a probability density function. Annals of Mathematical Statistics. 40, 2183-2188
26. 1970: The promotion problem. Mathematical Spectrum, Volume 2, 65-68
27. 1970: An introduction to concepts and terms (pp. 3-5), Markov chain models for manpower systems (pp.
26-31), Renewal theory models (pp. 32-35). In Some Statistical Techniques for Manpower Planning, CAS
Occasional Paper No. 15, H.M.S.O.
28. 1970: & A.D.Butler. The distribution of the number of leavers for an organization of fixed size. In Models of Manpower Systems. ed. A.R. Smith, 417-428,
29. 1971: The statistical approach to manpower planning. The Statistician, 20, 3-26
30. 1971: A comparison of frequentist and Bayesian approaches to inference with prior knowledge (with
Foundations of Statistical Inference ed.V P Godambe and D A Sprott, , 417-434,
31. 1971: Recent developments in the application of stochastic models to social processes. Proceedings of the.
38th Session of the International Statistical Institute. 44, Book 2, 85-89
32. 1972: La statistique appliquee a la prevision des besoins de personnel. Synopsis, Sept-Oct., 63-79 (Also in
33. 1972: The effect of changes in quits and hires on the length-of-service composition of employed workers: A
comment on Stoikov's paper. British Journal of Industrial Relations, 10, 130-133
34. 1973: Post-experience training for statisticians. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, A, 136, 65-70
35. 1973: A model of completed length of service. Omega, 1, 235-240
36. 1973: Stochastic models for social processes: a bibliography. Sociological Review Monograph No. 19,
1974: Stochastic models and their application: a review. In Manpower
Planning Models ed. D.J. Clough, C.G.
Lewis and A.L. Oliver, 81-90,
38. 1974: Social Probability. Inaugural lecture,
39. 1975: Comments on Markov models in geography. The Statistician. 24,. 175-177
40. 1975: Probability and social science. International Social Science Journal, 27, 421-436 (also in French
41. 1975: Errors of prediction for Markov chain models. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, B, Vol. 37,
42. 1975: A stochastic control problem in the social sciences. Bulletin of the International Statististical Institute.,
43. 1976: Renewal theory models in manpower planning. Symposium Proceedings Series No.8. The
44. 1976: & R.F.A.Hopes and A.R.Smith. Manpower planning in the face of uncertainty. Personnel Review, 5,
45. 1976: Continuous time diffusion models with random duration of interest. Journal of Mathematical
Sociology, 4, 187-199
46. 1976: The control of the grade structure in a university. In Mathematical Modelling (ed. J.G. Andrews and
47. 1976: Statistical problems of prediction and control in manpower planning. Mathematical Scientist, 1,
48. 1977: The analysis of data arising from stochastic processes. Chapter 5 in The Analysis of Survey Data, 2,
Model Fitting, ed. C. O'Muircheartaigh and C. Payne, 145-174, Chichester, John Wiley & Sons.
49. 1977: Maintaining a grade or age structure in a stochastic environment. Advances in Applied Probability, 9, 1-17
50. 1977: Applications of stochastic processes to social phenomena. In Problems of Formalization in the Social
Sciences 177-202, ed. Nadbitki, Ossolineum
51. 1977: Manpower planning literature: statistical techniques of manpower analysis. Department of Employment Gazette, 1093-1096
52. 1979: The control of a grade structure in a stochastic environment using promotion control. Advances in Applied
Probability, 11, 603-615
53. 1980: Factor analysis for categorical data (with discussion), Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, B.42,
54. 1981: Posterior analysis of the factor model. British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology, 34,
55. 1983: Some recent developments in social statistics. International Statistical Review, 51, 1-9
56. 1983: Latent variable models for ordered categorical data. Journal of Econometrics, 22, 229-243
57. 1983: The mixed
exponential distribution. In Contributions to Statistics, Essays in Honour
of Norman L. Johnson ed. P.K
. Sen,17-25 .
1983: Isotonic inference. In Encyclopaedia of Statistical Sciences, Vol.
4, ed. N.L. Johnson and
59. 1984: Recent developments in non-linear stochastic modelling of social processes. Canadian Journal of Statistics, 12, 39-52
60. 1984: Scaling binary data using a factor model. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, 46, 120-123
61. 1984: The foundations of factor analysis. Biometrika, 71, 221-232
62. 1985: Interactive, threshold and non-linear models for social systems. Journal of Mathematical Sociology, 11, 43-45
63. 1985: Manpower Planning. In Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences, Volume 5, ed. N.L. Johnson and S. Kotz, 211-213, Chichester,. John Wiley and Sons
64. 1985: Foundations of factor analysis: Some practical implications. British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology, 38, 1-10
65. 1985: Reply to discussion on foundations of factor analysis. British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology, 38, 138-140
66. 1986: Social applications of semi-Markov processes. In Semi-Markov Processes and their Applications ed. J.
67. 1986: & R.P.McDonald. Foundations of factor analysis: a further comment. British Journal of Mathematical
and Statistical Psychology, 39, 228-229
68. 1986: God or Chance? Epworth Review, 15, 82-89
69. 1987: Factor analysis and social measurement", LSE Quarterly, 1, 395-411
70. 1988: Probability, statistics and theology. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society., A, 151, 137-178
1988: & A.R.Smith. Manpower planning in the
1988: Methodology of social statistics. In Encyclopaedia of Statistical
Sciences, Vol. 8 ed. N.L. Johnson and
73. 1988:The sensitivity of latent trait analysis to choice of prior distribution. British Journal of Mathematical and
Statistical Psychology, 41, 101-107
74. 1988: Latent variable models for categorical data and their relationship with correspondence analysis. In
Proceedings of the International Symposium
on Advances in Multivariate Statistical Analysis ( ed.
75. 1991: Latent Variable Methods. Chapter 9 in New Developments in Statistics for Psychology and the Social
Sciences, Vol. 2, ed. P. Lovie
and A.D. Lovie, 199-213.
1991: Probability, Belief and Truth. In Can Scientists Believe ed. Sir Nevill Mott, 49-65.
1991: & K.F.Scheussler. Reliability
of attitude scores based on a latent trait model. Sociological
Methodology (ed. P. Marsden), 97-123.
78. 1991: Chance in God's World. In Fundamentalism and Tolerance (ed. A. Linzey and P. Wexler), 138-147.
1993: Statistics. In The Blackwell Dictionary
of Twentieth-Century Social Thought, (ed.
William Outhwaite & Tom Bottomore),645-647.
1993: The Statistical Approach to Social
Measurement. In New Directions
in Attitude Measurment (ed. Dagmar Krebs and
Peter Schmidt), 241-254
81. 1993: Chance, Life and Mind. In Epworth Review, Vol.20, Number 3,.92-100
1993: & M.Knott. Scale
Construction by Maximizing Reliability. In Statistical Modelling and
Latent Variables ed.D.J.Bartholomew, K.Haagen & M.Deistler, 17-26
83. 1993: & M.Knott. Constructing Measures with Maximum Reliability. Psychometrika, 58, 331-338
84. 1993: & E.L.Bassin and K.F.Schuessler. Properties of a Latent Trait Reliability Coefficient. Sociological Methods Research, 22, 163-192
85. 1993: Estimating Relationships Between Latent Variables. Sankhya, Series A, 55, 409-419
1994: Bayes' Theorem in Latent Variable Modelling. In Aspects of Uncertainty
ed. A.F.M.Smith and P.R.Freeman,
Choice or Chance?. In L.S.E. on Freedom
ed. Eileen Barker,
88. 1995: Social Measurement:A Statistical Perspective. In Applied Statistics - Recent Developments ed. J.Frohn,
U.Gather,W.Stute and H.Thoni Vandenhoeck and Ruprecht,
89. 1995: What is statistics? Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, A, 158, 1-20
90. 1995: Spearman and the Origin and Development of Factor Analysis. British Journal of Mathematical Statistical Psychology. 48, 211-220
91. 1995: & P G Moore, T M F Smith and P Allin. The Measurement of Unemployment in the
Royal Statistical Society A, 158, 363-417
1996:Manpower Planning. In Encyclopedia
of Operations Research and
Management Science ed. S.I.Gass and C.M.Harris, 359-361.
1996: Mobility Measurement Re-visited. In James.S.Coleman ed. J
94. 1996: & L. de Menezes. New developments in latent structure analysis applied to social attitudes. Journal of
the Royal Statistical Society A,159, 213-224
95. 1996: & L. de Menezes and P.Tzamourani. Latent trait and latent class models applied to survey data. In
Applications of Latent Trait and Latent Class Models in the Social Sciences ed. J. Rost and R Langeheine,
96. 1996: Comment on: Metaphor taken as math, indeterminacy in the factor model. Multivariate Behavioral Research 31, 551-554
97. 1996: Response to Dr.Maraun's first reply to discussion of his paper. Multivariate Behavioral Research, 31, 631-636
98. 1996: A statistical excursion into the arena of public policy. In Statistics, Science and Public Policy, ed A
M Herzberg and L Krupka, Proceedings of a conference at Hersmonceux Castle, Hailsham, Sussex,
1997: Statistics and Politics. In Advances in the Theory and Practice of
Statistics: A Volume in Honour of
Samuel Kotz ed.N.L.Johnson.and N.J.Balakrishnan, 29-37.
101. 1997: Membership matters, (with discussion). Epworth Review Vol.24, 48-56
102. 1997: Fifty years of multivariate analysis. British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology 50, 205-214
103. 1998: Scaling unobservable constructs in social science. Applied Statistics, 47, 1-13.
1998: The indeterminacy of factor models. In Econometrics in Theory
and Practice ed. R Galata
and H Kuchenhoff, 59-64.
105. 1999: The goodness of fit of latent trait models in attitude measurement. Sociological Methods and Research
106. 2000: God or Chance. In God for the 21st Century ed Russell Stannard, 147-149.
Foundation Press and
2000: The Measurement of Standards. In Educational Standards ed.Harvey Goldstein and
Anthony Heath,121-138. Published for the
108. 2000: God and Risk. In Risk Life is a Risky Business ed. P.A.Beetham, the 13th Christ and the Cosmos
109-131. Published by the Christ and the Cosmos Initiative
109. 2000: & D Hutchison, L
reading ability in three countries. Quality and Quantity, 34, 353-365
110. 2001: Factor analysis and latent structure. In International Encyclopedia for Social and Behavioral Sciences
111. 2001:Egon Sharpe Pearson. In Statisticians of the Centuries ed. C. C. Heyde and E. Seneta, 373 –
112 2002: Old and New Approaches to Latent Variable Modelling. In Latent Variable and Latent Structure
Models, ed. G A Marcoulide and I Moustaki,
113 2002: & Leung S O. A Goodness of Fit Test for Sparse 2^p Contingency Tables. British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology , 55, 1- 25.
114 2003: A unified statistical approach to some measurement problems in the social sciences. In Stochastic
Musings Perspectives from the Pioneers of the Late 20th Century, John Panaretos(ed.), 13 - 28, Mahwah,
New Jersey and London: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates
115 2005: Mathematical and Statistical Approaches. In Encyclopedia of Social Measurement Vol 2. Elsevier Inc.
116 2005 : History of Factor Analysis: A Statistical Perspective. Encyclopedia of Statistics in Behavioural Science,
Vol.2. John Wiley and Sons Limited. 851-858
117 2005: Maxwell, Albert Ernest. Encyclopedia of Statistics in Behavioural Science,Vol.3. John Wiley and
Sons Limited. 175-176
118 2007 : Three Faces of Factor Analysis, Chapter 2 in Factor Analysis at 100: Historical developments and future directions, Robert Cudeck and Robert C MacCullum (eds.), 9-21, Mahwah, New Jersey and London: Lawrence ErlbaumAssociates
119 2008: Lawn, Martin, Deary, Ian, A Conversation Between Charles Spearman,Godfrey Thomson and Edward L. Thorndike: The international examinations inquiry meetings 1931-1938, History of Psychology, 11, 122-142
120 2008: & Lawn, Martin, Deary, Ian, Naïve, Expert and Willing Partners: the Scottish Council for Research in Education in the International Examinations Inquiry in An Atlantic Crossing, Martin Lawn(ed.), 119-136, Didcot, Oxford: Symposium Books
121 2008: God and Probability,
Chapter 8 in Creation:Law and Probability,
Fraser Watts (ed.), 139 -153,
122 2009:& Lawn, Martin, Deary, Ian, ‘Godfrey Thomson: a statistical pioneer’, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society A 172, 1-161
123 2009: & Lawn, Martin, Deary, Ian, “Intelligence and Civilisation” A Ludwig Mond lecture delivered at the University of Manchester on 23rd October 1936 by Godfrey H Thomson. A reprinting with background and Commentary, Intelligence, 37, 48-61
124 2009: &Deary I, J, Lawn, M , ‘A New Lease of Life for Thomson’s Bonds Model’, Psychological Review, 116, 567–579
125 2009 ;
& Lawn, Martin, Deary, Ian J., Brett, Caroline .'Godfrey Thomson and
the rise of university pedagogical study: a recorded lecture delivered at the
126 2009: Deary I, J,
Lawn, M., ‘The Origin of Factor Scores:Spearman,
127 2010: Indirect Measurement, Chapter 23 in The Sage Handbook of Measurement,
G. Walker, E Tucker and M Viswamathan (eds), 455-468, London, Sage Publications Ltd.
128 2010: & & Lawn, Martin, Deary, Ian J., Brett, Caroline, Pattie, Alison, Archival
Sources for Sir Godfrey Hilton Thomson, History of Psychology, 13, 95-101
129 2010 :The Interpretation of Multivariate Data International Encyclopedia of Education 3rd Edition. Edited by Eva Baker, Penelope Peterson and Barry McGaw, Elsevier 12-17
130 2010 : Principal Components Analysis. International Encyclopedia of Education 3rd Edition. Edited by Eva Baker, Penelope Peterson and Barry McGaw, Elsevier 374-377
131 2010 : Victor Stenger’s Scientific Critique of Christian Belief, Science and Christian Belief, 22, 117 - 131
132 2010: & Pattie,
Alison. Brett, Caroline, Lawn, Martin and Deary, Ian. Reconstructing a
133 2011: Factor Analysis and Latent
Variable Modelling. International
Encyclopedia of Statistical Science ,501-503, Edited by Miodrag Lovric,
134 2013:& Allerhand, Michael and Deary, Ian. Measuring Mental Capacity: Thomson's Bonds Model andSpearman's Model Compared. Intelligence, 41, 2-233.